Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day Seven.-Words of wisdom and other bullshit.

An old friend of mine whom I haven't spoken with in quite some time has been going thorugh a personal crisis. Today, he made me realize that the 'words of encouragement' come from people who truly don't know what to say. They become so uncomfortable with another's immense grief that they have no choice but to fall back on the cliche lines from greeting cards and literature. Their intentions are sincere, they just don't know what to say.

Life goes on.
Time heals all wounds.


For the person in pain, their tragedy consumes them and the world has fallen. I'm not claiming they're selfish, I'm merely stating that the pain is so real that its all they can see.

If anything the words of wisdom hinder the person's tragedy. The words of wisdom diminsh the person's story, and the person feels inadequate for not reaching the expectations of the words placed before them.

I personally believe that we should embrace the pain. I'm not necessarily advocating destructive behavior, but I believe that we should embrace the sadness. Yes, we're broken, but that doesn't mean that we won't be whole again one day. Pain is what is means to be human. Pain means that we're living.

No comments:

Post a Comment