Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Day Eight.-Some insight and history behind the madness

Some people have asked, what would compel me to write for the next calendar year. They asked if I was crazy, and I merely shrug. Probably.

When I was six I took a standardized test, and found that I read at a eighth grade level. I'm not touting my reading ability, I'm merely illustrating the fact that I didn't fit in with people my age. Rather than spending time with peers on the playground, I read books. I was ten when I first discovered Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde and Ernest Hemingway.

Because I couldn't fit in with my peers, I became a very introverted person. It's not that I never tried to socialize with others, I just couldn't relate. By the time high school came around, I was still socially awkward.

When I finally reached college, a wave of relief washed over me. I finally found kindred spirits. My fellow classmates shared the same love of literature and writing that I did.

Several months ago, I applied for a dream internship at a major publishing house. One of my former professors wrote me a glowing recommendation letter and I patiently waited. Weeks went by and I received no word. My former professor was quick to offer words of encouragement. Words that helped me start Project 365.

He told me, that I didn't belong in a publishing house editing other people's work. He went on to tell me that I was the type of person who should be doing the writing. Knowing that I'd been published in the past, he encouraged me to come back to writing; telling me that there is so much more to be said. A few weeks later he died of natural causes in his home. About a week ago, I found out that I hadn't received the internship, but by that point it didn't matter. By that point I'd gone back to writing, and I have no plans of leaving.

He helped me see that there is so much more to be said, and it was his words that motivated me to start Project 365.

Although I've become a more socially acceptable member of society, I'll always be same crazy book worm.

No comments:

Post a Comment