Sunday, January 2, 2011

Day Twenty-Six.-The case of the mysterious brandy snifter


Today, while bartending, a lady came up to the bar to order a beer. I brought her her beer and presented her check in a brandy snifter. For those who don't know, it is mostly used to serve aged brown spirits such as brandy and scotch. The large surface area of the contained liquid helps evaporate it, the narrow top traps the aroma inside the glass, while the rounded bottom allows the glass to be cupped in the hand, thus warming the liquor. Snifters are so rarely used in my store that we use them as check presenters.

The lady paid for her beer and I turned my back to her to make some change. I turned back around, and the woman was drinking the beer from the snifter. I inwardly shuttered and offered the woman a mug. She happily declined and continued drinking from the snifter. It should be noted that because we use them as check presenters, snifters are rarely cleaned. Money, coins and grubby hands live in the snifters. She then ordered another beer but I didn't have the heart to tell her the dirty truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment