Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Looks Can Be Deceiving.

In my time as a server, I've seen a lot. There is very little that can catch me by surprise, but this weekend, I can say I was truly shocked. I waited on a party of six people, all in the mid- 30's. They were young, educated, and very kind. They bought alcohol, appetizers, 11 oz. steaks, and desert. Collectively, their bill was over $101.

By the end of their meal I was so excited! They were laughing and joking with me, and they seemed so nice! They paid with cash, leaving me $106 dollars.

Strange, I thought. That couldn't be right. But then it hit me, I received a five dollar tip (barely five percent).

The run-in with the table left me speechless. I was so incredibly shocked, and I realized that in my time as a server, I shouldn't assume anything or take anyone for granted.

1 comment:

  1. That's pathetic. If they can afford a hundred bucks for dinner, they can afford twenty more for a tip.

    Honestly, the people who are the nicest to me, the ones who tell me what a great server I am, the ones who compliment me to the cashier, the ones who laugh and joke with me are usually the shittiest tippers.

    ReplyDelete